Saturday, July 16, 2011

My Frosh Week in Mapua: A New Beginning

Just this Monday, July 11, 2011, I was an official freshman in one of the leading institute here in the Philippines, the Mapua Institute of Technology. It is one of the most important days of my college life. Why so? Obviously because that was my first day as a college student. A myriad of emotions overflowed me – excitement, nervousness, fear, and happiness at the same time. It was actually nerve-racking.

Being a college student would surely bring a lot of changes in me and in my daily life. Before, when I was in high school, I had to keep myself focused in my studies and so as with extra-curricular activities; furthermore, I had some clubs to handle. I didn’t have much time for myself to relax and just have fun; almost all I did was for my goal to be a valedictorian. Unfortunately, though the topped the highest, I was not given the title I had always dreamt all my high school life because of two cases I had when I was in my freshmen years. That was a big slap on my face that though I had worked hard all those years, that one thing I was dreaming of didn’t even touch my fingertips. Can you imagine the pain I went through? I cried. A lot.

Now that I’m in college, I have to remain focused. I have my goal and it is my personal decision. Truthfully, I feel discouraged because of my past experiences, but I keep telling myself to hold on; to not let go. I believe that God has something better stored for me. As the saying goes, “When a door closes, another one opens.” All I need is determination.

My first impression at Mapua is that it is a “hectic” school. It is the only school I know which follows a Quarterm System. If a typical school has two to three semester, Mapua has four. Vacation would only last 1-2 weeks for enrollment for the next term and a month for the Christmas break. Topics should be discussed as fast as possible because a shorter amount of time is allotted for each lesson. Academic and extra-curricular activities should be balanced and some professors and instructors will surely be a pain in your butt, seriously.

I am actually having a lot of thoughts when it comes to that. Sometimes, I think I could make it, that I could graduate and if ever, with flying colors. Then, suddenly, I would think that I won’t make it. Sometimes I like to shift and at times want to transfer to different university. I don’t know anymore. I had a tinge of fear when our professors and instructors told us that in Mapua, only few survives, that in order to survive, you need to be skillful. In Mapua you should never aim for a 3.0; you should always aim for 1.0, which is really hard. Of course, I have to stay positive. In my previous school, I had been trained to be disciplined in school work and I guess I have an advantage when it comes to that.

Despite me having so many thoughts for my future in Mapua, I find my frosh week really amazing. I have new friends, new schedule to follow and I have a new type of transportation too. I usually walk to school in my elementary and high school years, but now, I have to take a bus. It’s fun, actually; I enjoyed it a lot. My first week marks the beginning of a new chapter of my life. Truly, a book has just been opened for me; my journey to life has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment